A training in English about French farmers cooperatives.
- To become familiar with the history and genesis of cooperatives in France
- To get the latest figures on agricultural cooperatives in France
- To have a better understanding of the socio-economic environment of the French agricultural cooperatives
- To compare and evaluate the strategies developed by the French agricultural cooperatives, particularly in relation to major European cooperatives
- To understand the needs and new means of financing of French agricultural cooperatives
- To anticipate the future challenges that French agricultural cooperatives will face
HISTORY OF THE COOPERATIVE MOVEMENT IN FRANCE
- The genesis of the cooperative movement as a whole
- Context of the birth of the cooperative movement in France
CHARACTERISTICS AND KEY FIGURES FOR FRENCH AGRICULTURAL COOPERATIVES
- The main characteristics of agricultural cooperatives (purposes, values, principles, laws, tax regimes)
- Key figures for cooperatives in France (turnover, market share …)
- The Top 100 agricultural cooperatives in France
- Evolution of the industrial structure of the top 100 French agricultural cooperatives on a five year period
CHALLENGES AND STRATEGIES IN KEY SECTORS
- Focus on the most important sectors : cereals, milk, meat, sugar, fruit and vegetables, wine
o Contextual data (production, consumption, turnover, number of companies …)
o Key players in France by sector
o The major strategic maneuvers of the last 5 years in France by sector
o Key issues by sector
FINANCING AND FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE OF FRENCH AGRICULTURAL COOPERATIVES
- Accounting and financial characteristics of agricultural cooperatives
- The financial needs of agricultural cooperatives
- The financial resources available to agricultural cooperatives and new financial arrangements in place
- Comparison of different financing solutions
- Comparative Financial Performance of French agricultural cooperatives with private agribusiness leaders and major European cooperatives
MARKET TRENDS AND SOCIO- ECONOMIC ENVIRONMENT OF FRENCH AGRICULTURAL COOPERATIVES
- Evolution of agriculture in France (number of farmers, …)
- Evolution of food consumption in France (structure of household expenditures, effects of the crisis …)
- Evolution of the main channels of food distribution (short circuits, supermarkets, hard discount)
- Evolution of the agrifood sector in France (number of firms, sales, trade balance, strategies …)
- New risks (price volatility, CAP reform)
STRATEGIES IMPLEMENTED BY THE FRENCH AGRICULTURAL COOPERATIVES
- Important concentration of French agricultural cooperatives since the mid-2000s
- Vertical integration strategy and subsidiarisation of the processing activities
- The internationalization of cooperatives: successes, failures, limitations and comparison with leading European cooperatives
KEY ISSUES FOR FRENCH AGRICULTURAL COOPERATIVES
- How to maintain the sustainability of agricultural production areas in the context of globalization?
- Should French agricultural cooperatives continue to concentrate?
- Should French agricultural cooperatives internationalize more? how?
- How to manage the declining number of farmers and the relationship with the members?
- What are the challenges in terms of governance?
- Should French agricultural cooperatives invest more in digital technologies?